Wednesday, June 11, 2008

THE FUTURE

So, what do you plan to do with your future? This question has been hurled at me many times now in the recent past.I don’t know yet,haven’t thought it through,or just a shrug of the shoulders or a blank expression. That’s all I have been able to come up with as replies-if u can call it that. These conversations about my plans for the future or the lack of them tend to make me extremely uncomfortable.what usually follows is a saga of suggestions and advice(yes u get them for free and they are not affected by inflation or anything)-I think you should go into research-interruption-there’s no point doing research from india,I think you should go abroad-a conflict of advice and an argument follows with each one listing the pros and cons of their argument while I stare blankly probably thinking about the euro match later that night. Then another new dimension comes up-go for an MBA,its what everyone does-start preparing as early as you can and you can get into the top notch colleges!! Bla bla and more bla…

To get some relief from this I try to find solace among my friends but it really freaks me out when I find that some of them have got solid plans ready-they know exactly what they want to do,from where they want to do and how to get there.they know the exact details of everything-which degree from which university is most renowned,which one is not so renowned;hell!!they even know the six figure salary they will be drawing after a few years.if u ask me,I bet they have a fair idea of their retirement plans too.

But my story goes somewhat like this-recently while doing a microprocessor based project i think to myself-it would be cool to go for some fundoo electronics research.then after being somewhat sucessful in business plan competitons(yes we defeated IIM-A grads in one of them and its okay to show off sometimes),i decide-i dont wanna get a job-i wanna give away jobs-entrepreneurship was the order of the day.Then i hear my friends talk about the CAT and i wonder,it would be nice to bell the cat and get a fundooo mba degree and an equally fundoo job,then sometimes i think my real interest is towards finance maybe,then i spend some 2000 bucks doing a GRE course-god help me!!
But I’ve decided I wont let all of this bother me.I mean most of the decisions I have made so far have been impulsive-like the decision to study in a particular school in delhi(I wont go into the details of my time at the school because there aren’t any) or the decision to study in bits-pilani(a good choice probably).so I’ll leave it to time to decide it for me- but if I dare say so to someone they’ll probably laugh and what will follow is a string of more advice(yes they are free and unlimited).
For now,all i know is that the next year is the EEE-CDC year. Yes the dreaded year is almost here. If u have ever been to Bits Pilani-u’ll probably be sympathizing with me at this point.Yes the cdc’s have become synonymous with pain,anguish,frustration,depression and anything else if you can think of and last semester we had a pretty good glimpse of it with tests,more tests,even more tests,lab tests,assignments,projects-one rough ride it was.But with so much hype about the cdc’s I can ‘t help but feel a sense of excitement(read fear and frustration if u’re reading after august).
But I’ll enjoy the vacations till then(oh actually its not a vacation, practice school is going on-you know an industry exposure programme but then as we say in bits-its lite raaa…)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hehe.. Great blog!! You just read my mind..
Btw do inform me about your choice [whenever you make one that is :P]

karanjit singh cheema said...

better to remain aloof than join the fickle-minded mob..
nice post- keep them coming